BWRC is currently not accepting applications for the Assistant Veterinarian professional veterinary internship position.
Title: Assistant Veterinarian
Position description:The Assistant Veterinarian position at the Belize Wildlife & Referral Clinic (BWRC) is a voluntary term position with a minimum duration requirement of 6 -12 months (12 is preferred). The Assistant Veterinarian is part of the BWRC medical team, and assists with internship and student programs.
Schedule: Assistant Veterinarian(s) are on-call at all times. BWRC generally maintains two Assistant Veterinarians at a time, which means rotating responsibilities and shifts is possible. However there are times when two Assistant Veterinarians are needed, or only one Assistant Veterinarian is on staff. BWRC’s general opening hours are Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm barring emergencies or extraordinary circumstances, which are frequent. Student groups and interns also require off-hour and irregular responsibilities from time to time. The Assistant Veterinarian may also conduct or be involved in house visits, field visits, overnight stays, and weekend spay and neuter clinics.
Clinic Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Open and close clinic;
2) Perform intake exams;
3) Keep accurate records according to clinic protocols and procedures;
4) Answer phone and respond to general inquiries and walk-ins;
5) Learn and practice equipment functions and procedures;
6) Follow checklists for cleaning and inventory;
7) Cooperate and work closely with staff, interns, students and other veterinarians;
8) Provide medical supervision of interns on days without a lead veterinarian present;
9) Provide assistance to veterinarians in consultations or surgery;
10) Provide some veterinary consultations and procedures once registered in Belize and according to limitations or restrictions set forth by Belize regulations;
11) Provide assistance in spay and neuter clinics in local communities.
Intern and student duties and responsibilities:
1) Assist in communication and answering questions with and from prospective interns.
2) Provide transportation to and from the clinic for interns.
3) Assist in accommodating interns and students from time to time.
4) Assist in teaching and supervising interns and students in clinical and/or classroom setting from time to time.
5) Assist Dr. Isabelle as a teaching assistant (T/A).
Additional Project Driven Tasks:
1) Clinic checklists
2) Development of clinic manual
3) Phone manual
4) Intern manual
5) Client information leaflets
6) Record Keeping
7) Website Maintenance
8) Assist in Grant Writing
Qualifications: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Additional Requirements: Candidates must be committed to participating in and fostering close team work and must be able to demonstrate good communication skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people. Personal flexibility and improvisation skills; candor and composure under pressure; ability to function well in a team setting under stressful conditions; willingness to live and work in Belize in a very different local context. Willingness to manage personal and work-related transportation.
Re-numeration: This position includes housing, utilities, use of a shared vehicle (when available) for clinic business, weekly food stipend, and veterinary registration. Note interns are responsible for paying their own fuel, must have a valid drivers license, and assume responsibility for any damage to vehicles.
Housing: Off-site housing is provided and includes utilities. Utilities include water, electricity, cable and internet. Housing units include kitchenette or access to a shared kitchen. Assistant Veterinarians generally have private rooms, but may be asked to share from time to time, or moved off-site to accommodate temporary groups. Washer and dryer are on-site but require an extra fee. Housing includes on-site management.
Terms: This position is a voluntary term position to be offered for 6 and preferably 12 months at a time. This position is designed for visiting veterinarians and is not considered an employment; subject to Government of Belize regulations.
Renewal: This position may be renewed upon mutual agreement by both BWRC’s Director and the Assistant Veterinarian.
Note: This position is designed for volunteers who would like to contribute to conservation and to benefit from the significant opportunities for unique professional experience. This position is subject to the adherence to BWRC policies and procedures as well as housing policies. Failure to abide by any policies and procedures may result in termination.
Application procedure:Please send your CV and Cover letter to BWRC’s internship manager Justin Ford firstname.lastname@example.org